Sunday, March 8, 2009

Candy that will kill you

Okay so as most people know I have a sweet tooth, or many sweet teeth, and as part of my adventure in this land of Fin I have been testing out Finnish candy.  Well yesterday I went to the grocery store to get some chicken and vegetables for a stir-fry and while I was there I stopped in the candy isle.  Now up to this point I have only experienced mediocre candy so I decided to go big and try something that had a cool and brightly colored package.  So I pick up this package that was black with an abstracted yellow lion head and writing that looked crazy.  Now I could see the little green, purple, red, orange, and black sugar coated candies through the package and thought at worst they would be fruity and really sour.  I bought them.

Later that night after a really nice stir-fry dinner, some Pepsi-Max (max taste, no sugar!), and a nice long shower I was feeling good.  I lay down on my bed and decide to watch the Italian Job and play a little free-cell before I go to sleep (believe it or not I actually have had time to do this!)  I start the movie and decide to tryout this long awaited finnish treat.  I open it up.  It smells a little peculiar, kind of like black licorice but not quite.  So I pop one in my mouth and chew.  It's not licorice, it's more like a detergent.  Now I pop another one just to make sure I didn't just get a bad one... and of course it was just as bad, if not worse.  I needed to wash my mouth out the taste was so bad.

Today I bring the vile candy with me to school and Jono helps me figure out what it is.  "Tar Lion, Wild North" is the name of the candy.  The main ingredient is TAR.  That's right tar.  The flavors in the package are as follow:  lemon juniper berry, lacquer-licorice, licorice-tar, tar salt, and lingonberry-coniferous.  WTF?  
On the bottom front of the package it says "Exciting flavors of Finland's forests."  
I never want to taste Finland's forests again.

I can honestly say that it was the most disgusting candy I have ever had in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. You should buy your enemies that candy and give it to them when you come home and laugh at the nasty faces they will pull when chewing on "Tar Salt."

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am just now reading this and i am laughing at the apartment by myself. hahahahahhahahaa. you are so funny. i love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete