Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Halloween is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Growing up, Halloween was a big deal for our family.  Over the years my mom collected costumes, wigs, makeup, costume jewelry, and all sorts of accessories that she would have my dad lug out from the basement or attic every year.  I still remember the smell of old and dank polyester mixed with hard plastic that would permeate the room where we unloaded and sorted through the treasure chest of awesomeness.  Often times (by our fathers persuasion) we would choose to be something scary or un-dead, I think I was a dead cheerleader at least twice before the age of 10.  If we wanted to be something that we didn't have a costume for my mother, being the amazing seamstress that she is, would just whip up a new one.  And no costume was ever complete without the full hair and makeup and the fake blood that my dad would always voluntarily apply.

When we moved to our new house we started decorating more elaborately and creating spooky and haunted environments for trick or treating.  One year we had a stuffed guy hanging from the roof with an orange glowing pumpkin head, half of a body sticking out of the pond, and a strobe light.  This was of course in addition to the regular scary music, black light, and insane amount of webs.  For quite a few years after we were too old to trick or treat, Briana or I would dress up in a sheet and mask and sit on top of the stone fence and scare the crap out of people.  Those were good times.

Most people/women have boxes of Christmas decorations, well as an adult I have a box of Halloween decorations and no Christmas decorations.

So Halloween is pretty much my favorite holiday and needless to say I am making Loki a costume...because I am super dorky like that...and my friend Jessica is letting me borrow her sewing machine while she is away.  Even though I don't sew and have only used a sewing machine a half dozen times in my life I figure it can't be THAT hard to figure out how to sew some felt together.  (Famous last words, I know.)

I began to brainstorm.  I know I wanted to make something unique because why go to all the effort if it is just going to be lame?
I began sketching.
Maybe I should turn him into a little stegosaurus?


Not quite feeling it.
Maybe a mummy?


Nah...lame.
I got it!  YOSHI!!!!!!!!


He is going to be the cutest Yoshi at the CWE doggy Halloween parade this year!

1 comment:

  1. They have a parade?!? That is so cool! I'm excited to see how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete