When I was a teenager my mom kind of stopped doing those things because we the two oldest were out of the house and D,E and I were little brats that didn't appreciate it. She's kind of picked it back up as much as she can even though we are all pretty much out of the house. She sent me some Halloween window stickers to help decorate my desk at school (I web it every year.)
NOW I LOVE holidays and birthdays. I love to make birthdays special for others. It kind of started in High School when I bought 18 balloons for my best friend and had the office aids deliver a couple per class period. In college the more memorable birthdays was when I threw a little surprise dinner party for my really good friend. I love to decorate with crepe paper and make things as cheesy as possible. I also like to buy the number of balloons the person is turning, so they have a ridiculous balloon bouquet in their house.
Oh and don't even get me started on decorating cookies! I love decorating sugar cookies. It all began with Grammy Lou, sometimes she would have my sisters and I over to swim and make sugar cookies, my favorites were the dinosaurs.
Today I have a set of 100 cookie cutters and a bunch of others that I have collected along the way. When I bake sugar cookies it turns into a huge 2 day production. I usually set up a special work table (Dina HATES it when I do this) and I custom mix all of my colors, have toothpicks for detailing, and gels and sprinkles galore. I love to make weird ones, for one of my friends who's in med school I made a bunch of severed fingers, pussy bleeding feet, people with broken limbs, etc. I think I may have scared him, amongst other things.
One year I made chocolate covered cookies on sticks and then decorated them with colored chocolate Halloween style. I made mummys, Frankensteins, black widows (legs and all), ghosts, and scary pumpkins. I gave them to everyone at Dr. Bowen's office, oh I miss him. I really hope I have a picture of those somewhere because they were pretty dang cute.
These days I don't have the time to do stuff like that anymore...hopefully someday I will. I just know when I have kids I'm going to go crazy.
In conclusion, I really appreciate holidays and I know that a lot of it stems from my mothers example. This is just another reason why I love her and think she is wonderful.
Crap, when is mothers day?
I was just looking at a picture of that dinner a few days ago! I remember you kept trying to get me out of the house because you needed to set up, but I was totally clueless (and in a bad mood because I thought no one had remember my bday) and was taking forever to get out! I was so surprised, and it was so lovely. Thanks again. I really truly appreciated it. It was beautiful. Holiday and birthdays rock!
ReplyDelete