Saturday, April 11, 2015

Nicknames

I wrote this blog nearly two months ago and never posted it...I think the world is ready for it now.



I have always loved nicknames and quite often call my friends stupid names or use obnoxious terms of endearment when talking to them or texting, I'm not really sure why I do this.  Some people get it and play along and some people don't.  Anyhoo, I was trying to remember all of the nicknames I have over my lifetime.  So here is a non-exhaustive list of my nicknames:


Fred - from my dad
I have no clue where he got that one from.

Little Irene - from my dad
I was named after my great grandmother whom I supposedly look just like.  When I was a baby I used to play with her floppy earlobes which I have in turn inherited.

Wednesday's Child - from the entire family
Each member in my family was assigned a night to say the prayer at dinner.  I was Wednesday.  My sisters then thought it would be funny to start calling me Wednesday's Child (it was a segment on the news that would feature a kid that was up for adoption), thus perpetuating the tale that I was adopted.  For the longest time I seriously thought that I was adopted.

Stubs - from my sisters
My loving sisters said that my fingers and toes looked like they had been chopped off with a butchers knife and called me Stubs.  After many years I finally accepted the name and now it's a part of my email address.

Marco - from my dad
My dad started calling me this in high school when I first attended the CloseUp Washington DC program with my uncle's school from California.  He was referring to Marco Polo the explorer and budding my sense of adventure and my seemingly unafraid attitude towards travel.  So whenever I travel or am embarking on some adventure he whips out the name Marco.

Sunshine - Dr. Bowen my boss in high school and post college
For some reason he started calling me this.  It might have been that I would often smile and was actually nice to the patients.  Oh yeah he also called me "Woody" for a while after I dyed my hair bright red (in support of my sister whom at the time had ovarian tumors and a mega surgery), that was in reference to Woody the Woodpecker.

C-Note - my friends Ben and Sean in college
We were watching an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Will calls Carleton "C-Note".  Both of them immediately turned to me and called me C-Note and laughed.  To this day Ben still refers to me by that name.

Terrorist - from my dad
This is my most recent nickname.  I can't remember the exact incident that inspired this name...but it might have been last year when I sprayed my father with a hose after he wouldn't stop trying to cut down a tree in our yard.  He sometimes gets a bee in his bonnet and has to do something right at that moment and the only way you can break his concentration is an extreme intervention of some type.  A hose was appropriate for the tree scenario.
It might have also started when I started giving my dad titty-twisters when he would do something stupid or tease me about something.

I forgot about:
Vesuvius - from my dad
I got this one when I was a young teen.  I tend to internalize things and lay "dormant" until one day when I've had enough, I explode and absolutely wipe out anything and everything.  I still do this but my meltdowns are fairly controlled and not in front of others.

Cutie-Pa-Tootie - from my mom
This is the one and only nickname from my mom, she has never been one to use terms of endearment.  So I have no idea where she came up with this one from but for some reason a few years ago whenever I would call her for our weekly Sunday chats she would answer her phone "Hey there Cutie-Pa-Tootie" or "Whatcha doing Cutie-Pa-Tootie?"

No comments:

Post a Comment