Thursday, April 2, 2015

Renee, Arranged Marriages, NY, Teaching, Rain, etc.

So I've started 4 different blog posts about various things and haven't really felt like finishing the thoughts and posting them.  So for now here are some short random ones:


-It was one of my dearest and most wonderful friend Renee's birthday this last week.  She is sweet, kind, spunky, hilarious, devoted, selfless, creative, intelligent, hardworking, generous, and unconditionally loving.  I am blessed to have her in my corner.

-There's a TV show called Married at First Sight on A&E that I initially thought was just another b.s. crap reality show.  Then I saw an episode when I was at the gym and to my surprise I found it very interesting.  I don't know whether or not that interest is caused by my perpetual state of spinsterhood but the idea of a modern day arranged marriage doesn't sound so bad!

-I miss my nieces and nephew so much.  Clio got on my case this last weekend as to when I was actually going to come visit.  Then I got a text message from Milo asking when I was coming out.  So I just bought my plane tickets to visit them in a couple weeks.  I am so excited to see them!  I have to finish making their belated birthday presents before I go.  I'm making MOC unicycling t-shirts and then designing Hugh another Hugh-ism shirt.

-I might be taking out my endowments in the Manhattan Temple when I go, depending upon whether Briana can make it up that weekend.  If she can't then I'll just take out my endowments in the St. Louis Temple whenever she can come visit me.  Exciting.

-Teaching is great.  I really enjoy it and it helps break up my days and week because I hate the idea of sitting at a desk for the majority of my life.  Today we did flight tests of their flying machine prototypes.  Good times.  I had to push two of my students to fly their machines because they were sooooo overly concerned that they were going to break, and of course they did, but they have to learn that their models are not precious and that they have to test the idea.

-I have come to the realization that I am not an intense person but rather a passionate person.  I used to get so frustrated with people that didn't care about certain things as much as I did.  It actually would drive me crazy so I would complain about it to family members and they would gently point out that 9 times out of 10 I am being overbearing or overly invested into something that was obviously not going to yield the return that I had hoped for.  So over the past few years I have had to learn to temper my expectations of people because it is not fair for me to impose those onto others.

-I am so grateful to be back in St. Louis.  I know this is where I am supposed to be right now.

-Poor Boston had to have his eye removed because he had a tumor that started growing excessively on his eyelid.  Now he's a super clingy pirate dog with a stuffed parrot as a sidekick.

-The P&P Torture Night group are moving on to different movies and shows now...but so far they're all movies from the same genre that I have not seen nor would ever see under any other circumstance.  Last night we watched the first half of Sense and Sensibility.  Yup, it's just as...Jane Austeney as the others.  The ladies are simply wonderful and hilarious.  I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to get to know them and can now call them my friends.

-I love rainstorms, there is one passing over as I type this.  I opened my windows and back door to let in the fresh air and beautiful sound of the downpour.  It's so calming and peaceful.  I love it.
When I was a kid our family lived on the avenues in Salt Lake and our front porch overlooked the valley.  When rainstorms would come rolling through we would all gather on the porch and sit on the long church pew that my parents bought from our church when it was being renovated.  I remember the thunder cracking so loudly that the whole earth shook.  My parents would just laugh at the excitement while my sisters and I cowered under our blankets.  When I got older (and lived in a different house) my favorite thing was to sit on the porch swing on our covered deck with a blanket and listen to the rain hit the millions of leaves in our backyard and gully.  To me that was absolutely magical and time didn't seem to matter.  So whenever rainstorms come through I always want to grab a blanket, curl up, and let time stand still.

No comments:

Post a Comment